The PGA Tour and DP World Tour have agreed to merge with Saudi Arabian-backed circuit LIV Golf in a deal that ends the acrimonious split in the game.
The surprise announcement comes after a year of unprecedented disruption in the men’s game following the launch of LIV.
It means pending litigation between the tours will be halted and they will move forward as part of the same enterprise.
“This is a stunning development,” said the BBC’s golf correspondent Iain Carter.
“The PGA and DP World Tours were sworn enemies of the LIV circuit, which had poached some of their best players. They viewed the breakaway tour as an existential threat and entered into bitter and expensive legal action.”
Making the announcement on Tuesday Jay Monahan, commissioner of the PGA Tour, golf’s leading circuit, said: “This is a historic day for the game.”
An agreement has been signed that will combine the PGA Tour and LIV’s commercial operations and rights into a new, yet to be named for-profit company.
The agreement includes the DP World Tour, formerly known as the European Tour.
The emergence of the LIV circuit fractured men’s professional golf over the last year, with several top players lured by its huge prize funds and no-cut events, which include a team format.
LIV Golf is backed by the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (PIF), an entity controlled by the Saudi crown prince and which has been embroiled in anti-trust lawsuits with the PGA Tour over the last year.
“This is a momentous day – to partner in this new entity is energising and exciting,” said DP World Tour chief executive Keith Pelley.